Monday, January 14, 2008

Jambo everyone! I finally arrived in Kilimanjaro after a verrrry long day of traveling. I can't even begin to describe how incredible it is here. We arrived at night, so we couldn't see any of our surroundings until morning, but when I woke up I was in awe. I stepped outside and there was Mt. Kilimanjaro staring at me in the face. Our house is absolutely beautiful and the people are so patient, friendly and loving. I can't wait to start at my nursery school tomorrow morning, the children love to run up to us to say hello and ask questions. I met my two teachers that I'll be working with at my placement in Magerenza and they were very nice, however spoke absolutely NO english...so this should be interesting :) Today we walked into town and around Karanga (our village) to see what was around us. We met so many wonderful people who are so warm and welcoming to us mzungas (foreigners). The one thing I learned so far is that I need to learn Swahili immediately...haha. It is very hard to communicate with the people in the village because most do not know any english, but I am learning, at least enough to call a taxi and have him bring me to this computer. I have sooo much to say but the huwala house (internet cafe) closes in about 10 minutes so I will have to write more tomorrow after I finish teaching. So until then, Kwa heri (goodbye) everyone :)

xoxo

Kristin

3 comments:

PaulF said...

Just got the blog address and had to check it out...Glad to hear you arrived safe and sound...

A little news Stateside....

New York Giants 21 - Dallas Cowboys 17

NFC Championship here we come!!!!!

Off to Lambeau Field next week to play the Green Bay Fudge Packers with a chance to go to the Super Bowl!!

What ever good luck in Swahili is, insert here.
have fun.

laurie roberts said...

Kristin, so relieved to know you arrived safely. Sounds incredible. Truly the trip of a lifetime. Be safe...looking forward to reading your blogs and your experience with the kids, etc.
Ninapenda wewe....Momma XXOO

Stu said...

Hey Screebs,
Seems like you settled right in there.I'm so happy to here that!Looking forward to reading about your experiences and be sure to take lots of pics.I love the Swahili you added to your post.
Looks like I better get a Swahili/English translation book myself.(that oughta be fun)
Love ya, Dad
XOXO
ps gonna pass on your blogs to the peeps at work, they've been asking