Thursday, January 24, 2008

Week Two

Hamjambo Everyone :)

So I'm just finishing up my second week here in Tanzania, and I love it more and more each day. My students are the most adorable kids I've ever met. I don't try and play favorites, but I can't help it sometimes. One of my girls, Manka, is the sweetest mtoto (child) and always has a smile on her face no matter what, its great. Then there is Belena who is two years old and pretty much just sits and colors all day while I teach, but I have no problem with that because she has the cutest face in the world. You will all understand when I show you the pictures. But really, I couldn't ask for a better class of kids, they try so hard and they are doing really well with their numbers, letters and colors so far. I come home around 1 in the afternoon and am soooo tired after teaching just because there are so many of them (apx 75) and two of us, and although I'm almost fluent in Swahili, I'm not quite there...haha, yeah right.

Yesterday we had the day off from work and went on a little field trip all around the Kilimanjaro region. We went into a bunch of Batik shops which were beautiful and learned how to do Batik art. Then we drove up to the Chagga villages and visited some caves and traditional homes which was so amazing to see. Then my favorite part of the day was the hike to Ndoro waterfalls, it was gorgeous!! Although it may not have been the best choice to go swimming, I jumped in because I couldn't resist (sorry Mom). So that was a very cool day we had with everyone from the house.

Tomorrow I am going on my first Safari!!!! We are leaving work early and going to Lake Manyara, Ngorogoro Crater and Tarengari (spelling?) for the weekend. I am so unbelievably excited I won't be able to sleep tonight. I can't wait to see elephants, zebras, lions, EVERYTHING! I'll be sure to take lots of pictures and footage so everyone can experience it back home! I'll write more on Monday to update everyone with my safari weekend.

Last, but not least, GOOOOO GIANNNNNTTTTSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't believe I am going to miss this game!!!! But I'm sure I'll be hearing the outcome, just because I'm overseas doesn't mean news doesn't spread. So hopefully there won't be any hard feelings after the Giants win :) And baba, your Swahili is vizuri sana! I'm glad to see your practicing :) I love you all, and miss everyone back home. Until next time...

Kwaheri,
Kristin xoxo

4 comments:

laurie roberts said...

loved reading today's blog...keep 'em coming screebs!

Liz said...

Krissy! i FINALLY got the blog address. i'm so excited so i can keep up with the action and not stalk nicole anymore lol. sounds like an amazing time you are so lucky!! can't wait to see all the pictures.

Stu said...

Hi Kris,
Sounds great at your school with the little ones ! The safari, hikes,villages and shops all must be so cool to experience!!Its a once in a life time opp. Be sure to take lots of pics and make sure your cute smile is in alot of those pictures !...gonna keep it short. Hey are there any Swahili words that don't end in a vowel? And may the BEST team win next week..GO PATS !
Kwaheri, Baba xoxo

Neil said...

Hey Kris !!! I loved reading your blogs. Im glad to hear things are going so well for you. As i read your messages I try to imagine what it must be like there... and i cant.. It must be amazing !!! Cant wait to see pictures and video.. Im sure you have some pretty incredible stuff. Anyways, keep us posted... Im already looking forward to reading about your safari. Remeber to be careful and that we love you !!! -- Neil