Thursday, January 17, 2008

Week One

Mambo Everyone :)

So I'm finally all settled in and working at my school now! I absolutely LOVE my kids, they are soooo adorable, I can't wait to show everyone pictures and video. The biggest challenge is getting over the language barrier, but I'm doing the best I can and taking Swahili lessons everyday so I can communicate with them. I'm experiencing such culture shock here, everything is just so incredibly different. The most amazing thing is that although the people don't have much, they are the happiest people I've ever met. Everyone is always smiling and laughing, they come up and talk to us and practice their English while I make a fool out myself trying to speak Swahili...haha. Yesterday and today I taught the class of 2-4 year olds which are my favorites :) We started counting and the alphabet and they seem to be picking it up fairly quickly. It breaks my heart when I go to school everyday and realize how much stuff they need...they have no paper, barely any chalk or pencils, no crayons or markers or anything of the sort. The school looks like what we would call a shack, with two rooms that fit about 40 kids each. They have a couple jump ropes for play time and the only swings they have are both broken so the kids can't use them. I brought some construction paper and arts/crafts stuff and the kids were soooo excited and the teachers thanked us all day long, it was the best feeling I've ever had, like I had helped them so much. I only have one minute left on the internet, so I have to go. I'll write more this weekend!! I miss everyone back home :)

<3 Kristin

4 comments:

laurie roberts said...

Hey Sweets...loved reading your blog today. I try to picture it in my mind...cant wait to hear more.
Love you...Momma xxxoooo

Stu said...

Hi Kris...Miss you too. How is the weather there?Sounds like you are really going to have a great trip. cant wait to see the pics and the video that you wrote about!how far is the place you are staying from the Mt.? do you see any other americans there that are not associated with the group you are with? take care and you make all of us so proud....love you honey xoxo Dad

Paul Fleck said...

Wow, sounds really cool out there. Hope you are getting some good video that we can do some nice stuff with. I cant even imagine being in there with all those kids. Must be awsome.

A little more news from the Western Hemisphere.....

WE ARE GOING TO THE SUPERBOWL!!!!!!!!!!

NYG 23 Green Bay 20 - OT

Infreakincredible game.

anyway, hope all is well. talk to you soon

paul

Stu said...

Jambo Screebs !
Habari gani? Nzuri sana
I am glad i had Jumatatu off it was a holiday here....I had to rest up from the football games....now its Jumantano and i have mbili more days to work this week. Wapi did you go to have a drink? have you seen a Simba? or A Tembo? or more likely Ng ombe's and Mbuzi's ? ha ha ha .... This Jumamosi and Jumapili....Naenda wapi, A safari?Talk to you later ..have fun with all your Watoto's
Love Baba xoxoxoxo